Film Inspired Blog Circle: January 2013

Thursday, January 31, 2013
Like I mentioned in my last post, a bunch of my photography friends from the Light Inspired forum are venturing into the world of FILM!  It's a very exciting world to be in!  We are doing a blog circle, to share our latest scans each month!

When I tell people that I am shooting film these days, almost all of them look at me like I'm absolutely crazy!  I get comments like "Don't you know they came out with digital so you don't have to deal with that stuff anymore?" or "Isn't that like moving backwards?"  But film is a beautiful thing.

Here are just a few reasons why I decided to shoot film:

  1. Firstly, I am totally in love with the way film looks. The colors, the light, the tones, and the grain are all to die for!  I'm confident that you will see that as you follow our blog circle and see some of these amazing photos!  According to Jonathan Canlas, the "bokeh is so buttery you'd swear it belongs on your toast." :)
  2. I also wanted to shoot film as an exercise to improve my skills.  There's no looking at the back of your camera or depending on your raw data with film. 
  3. It's less work editing.  When you shoot film nowadays, you send it in to a lab to be developed and scanned.  Well, unless you are developing yourself, but I'm not going to try that yet!  But yes, you read that correctly - they scan the images and send you a digital copy, just like your digital photos.  So I have the best of both world in shooting film and still having digital files.  But the majority of the things I edit in post processing with digital has already been done for me at the lab.
  4. It makes me shoot with purpose.  Since I have to pay for rolls of film and developing, each frame that I shoot costs me money.  That means that I am a lot less likely to waste shots by taking 15 frames of the same subject or by not checking my settings carefully.
Hopefully that helps you understand why a little bit better, but if it doesn't, don't worry about it - just know that I am completely in love with film, it makes me giddy with happiness, and these shots are a result of that :)

Don't forget to check out my friend Gretchen's post- I can't wait to see what she has to share!


P.S. I posted some more of my film images the other day in this post. :)
                  

8 comments:

hillaryodell said...

Love them! The colors are stunning <3

Jennifer Warthan said...

LOVE these colors... the blues, greens and purples are outstanding! So happy to be in this group with you!

Jill Serrano said...

So pretty! Beautiful work.

Lesley Morgan said...

Those are gorgeous! You're eye for detail is exceptional!

Sally said...

Megan - I agree with Lesley, your eye for detail is amazing!

Jennifer said...

Beautiful Megan, love the color and tones!

Stacy said...

Very nice Megan

Unknown said...

Love the bokeh in the first image, it looks so painterly!

Post a Comment

Bio

Hi, I'm Megan.

I got a film point and shoot camera for my twelth birthday, and I've been in love with freezing time via photography ever since. I took several photography classes in high school and college, and finally purchased my first DSLR in March 2012. Now I am on a journey, learning everythng I can about this adventure called photography. There is so much to learn! Thank you for caring enough to follow along with my journey!